Dumpsite Management is a unit under Waste Management Services. There are 3 major landfills and 2 temporary sites serving Lagos State.
Olushosun Landfill Site: Situated in the Northern part of Lagos within Ikeja Local Government and receives approximately 40% of the total waste deposits from Lagos. The size is 42.7 hectares and a residual life span of 20 years.
Abule-Egba Landfill Site: The site occupies a land of about 10.2 hectares in the Western part of Lagos in Alimosho Local Government and receives waste from the densely populated area. The residual life span is approximately 8 years.
The Solous Sites: Situated along Lagos State University – IBA Road.
Soluos II – is on 7.8 hectares of land with average life span of 5 years.
Soluos III- a new site with approximately 5 hectares of land with average life span of 5 years. Each site
receives an average of about 2,250 m3 of waste per day.
These Satellite Sites comprise of Owutu (Ikorodu), Sangotedo (Eti–Osa) and Temu (Epe) dumpsites. These sites serve as back–ups for other three main landfill sites, and also have an advantage of proximity. They are temporary sites, and receive an average waste of about 1,864.29m3 per day.
Upgrading of the three (3) principal landfill sites (Olushun, Abule–Egba and Solous) are ongoing and nearing completion.
This will improve turn around time of trucks, and also reduce traffic congestion.
LANDFILL SITES »
1. Olusosun ————-active since friday 19th Nov 1992
2. Souls 1—————-not active since 5th October 2006
3. Souls 2—————-active since 20 July 2006
4. Souls 3—————-active since 4th July 2008
5. Abule Egba———–not active since 7th July 2008
6. Ewu elepe————active since 14th Nov 2008
7. Owutu—————–not active since 10 Dec 2008
8. Epe——————–active since 12th Feb 2009
9. Ogombo—————not active since 14th March 2009
10. Anthony Village—–not active since 20th Nov 1992
11. Isolo—————–not active since 1995
12. Makoko————–not active since 1983
13. Adeniji Adele——–not active since 1983
14. Agunlejika———–not active since 1990
15. Omole.—————not active since 1991
16. Billings way———-not active since 1997