- How often will my waste be collected?
- What should I do if my waste pick-up is missed?
- What should I do if I am not satisfied with the service rendered?
- What are the sources of municipal waste?
- What are some of the Lagos waste material composition?
- Why should I sort my waste from source?
- How should I sort my waste?
- What is the composition of recycled materials in comparison to the quality of virgin materials?
- What are some of the benefits of recycling?
How often will my waste be collected?
- Waste from residential premises is collected once in a week.
- Waste from Commercial premises is collected once or twice in a week, depending on the service level agreement
What should I do if my waste pick-up is missed?
- Please contact your assigned PSP Operator via the phone number on your waste bill.
- Call LAWMA on the toll free customer care contact channels
What should I do if I am not satisfied with the service rendered?
Kindly write to:
The Executive Chairman,
Lagos Waste Management Authority,
3, Otto Road Ijora Olopa
Lagos.Back to Index
What are the sources of municipal waste?
- Domestic waste
- Industrial waste
- Market waste
- Medical waste
What are some of the Lagos waste material composition?
- Household waste
- Construction/demolition waste
- Beverage content
- Organic waste
- Inorganic waste
Why should I sort my waste from source?
- Sorting of waste from source is one of the best ways citizens can contribute to ensure effective waste management.
- It is economical.
- Reduces waste going to the landfill sites.
- Encourages reuse of materials.
- To avoid comingling of waste.
How should I sort my waste?
- A system of colour-coded bags has been initiated to assist in waste separation and disposal:
- DOMESTIC WASTE:
- Black trash bag – household waste
- RECYCLABLE MATERIALS:
- Plastic – Blue trash bag
- Paper – Red trash bag
- Aluminum – Orange trash bag
- MEDICAL WASTE:
- Medical waste, i.e. used cotton wool, gloves etc. – Yellow trash bag
- Pharmaceutical waste, i.e. expired drugs etc – Brown trash bag
- Highly pathogenic waste i.e. placenta, used drip bags, blood clothes etc. – Red trash bag
- Sharp objects ,i.e. needles, injections, blades etc – safety box
Back to Index
What is the composition of recycled materials in comparison to the quality of virgin materials?
In order to achieve the highest quality grade of recyclables, the recyclable materials are mixed with virgin materials at a percentage of 60% recyclables and 40% virgin materials.Back to Index
What are some of the benefits of recycling?
- Saves time, energy and aides in the conservation of natural resources.
- Saves money.
- Has economic value (e. means of livelihood)
- Serves as alternative energy.
- Reduces green house emission (e. reduces the effect of climate change)
- Gives new purpose to used items.
- Reduces the amount of waste disposed at the landfill sites.
Back to Index